- 1649-2002 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.13 cubic metres
7 boxes and 1 oversize folder
Name of creator
The Church of St Mary, Birkin, dates from the first half of the twelfth century and was initially in the patronage of the Byrkin family but had passed to the Everingham family by the 1320s. The church was rebuilt in 1328 and restored in the late nineteenth century.
Historically, the parish included the townships of Birkin, Chapel Haddlesey, East Haddlesey, West Haddlesey, Hirst Courtney and Temple Hirst. A chapel of ease existed at East Haddlesey from 1312, dedicated to St John the Baptist.
In 1873 Chapel Haddlesey, West Haddlesey, Temple Hirst and Hirst Courtney separated from Birkin parish to form the new parish of Chapel Haddlesey. Prior to this date baptisms, marriages and burials for these townships were recorded at Birkin.
Today Birkin is part of the united benefice of Haddlesey with Hambleton and Birkin, which also includes Chapel Haddlesey, Hambleton and Temple Hirst.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material