- 1692-2010 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.18 cubic metres
Name of creator
The Church of St Andrew at Bishopthorpe was built c.1202, almost certainly by the Prior and monks of the newly founded Priory of St Andrew at Fishergate in York. The village was thereafter known as Andrewthorpe or Thorpe St Andrew, until Archbishop Walter de Gray acquired the property and advowson of the church from the priory and built his episcopal residence there at some point prior to 1241. The first known use of the name Bishopthorpe appeared in written record in 1275. The village has also been known as Thorpe on Ouse.
Archbishop de Gray conveyed the parish lands he had acquired to the Dean and Chapter of York, while the advowson of the parish church remained in the gift of the Archbishop. In 1269 it was appropriated by Archbishop Walter Gifford to the Priory of St Clement’s, near York, and a vicarage was ordained there the same year. The priory retained the advowson until the Dissolution of the Monasteries when it passed to the Crown. In 1746-7 it was restored to the Archbishop of York.
The benefice was augmented in 1729 and 1731 through Queen Anne’s Bounty. In 1768 St Andrew’s Church was completely rebuilt by Archbishop Drummond. The roof and floor were later replaced, and the seating expanded, by Archbishop Vernon Harcourt in 1842. Following severe flooding in 1892 a new burial ground was created on the corner of Church Lane and Bishopthorpe Road, and in 1899 a new church was built to the north of this site. The ruins of the old St Andrew’s Church are today in the care of St Andrew’s Trust, a registered charity. The vicarage was also rebuilt in 1825.
In 1866 parts of Middlethorpe and Dringhouses were transferred to Bishopthorpe from the parishes of St Mary Bishophill Senior and Holy Trinity, Micklegate.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material