- 1815-1997 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.17 cubic metres
Name of creator
The village of Boston Spa was founded in the mid eighteenth century following the discovery of a mineral spring in the township of Clifford in the parish of Bramham in 1744. A chapel of ease, dedicated to St Mary the Virgin, was consecrated there in 1814 and was a perpetual curacy subject to the peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter of York.
The growth of the village necessitated the expansion of the chapel in 1851. In 1853 the chapelry separated from Bramham to form its own parish; its patronage, like that of Bramham, was vested in the Dean and Chapter of Christ Church, Oxford. The chapel, now the parish church of St Mary, underwent further expansion between 1871 and 1884 by W. H. Parkinson, and again in 1957. A Church Room was built in 1967.
A Boston Spa branch of the British and Foreign Bible Society was active in the parish in the first half of the twentieth century.
Today Boston Spa forms part of the parish of Lower Wharfe, which also includes All Saints Church in Bramham, and St Peter’s Church in Walton.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material