- 1611-1998 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.11 cubic metres
6 boxes and 3 rolls.
Name of creator
The existence of a church at Bossall was recorded in Domesday in the eleventh century, although its foundation is believed to date to the time of Bosa, the seventh century Archbishop of York who gave the village its name. The present parish church is dedicated to St Botolph and dates from the late twelfth century.
A vicarage was ordained at Bossall in 1229. The rectory and advowson of the church initially descended with the manor of Bossall but by 1378 it had passed to the Nevill family. At some point between 1378 and 1386 it was alienated to Durham Priory by John Nevill for the maintenance of Durham College, Oxford. The advowson was fully appropriated to the college c.1404, and the college retained it until the Dissolution of the Monasteries when it was granted by the King to the Dean and Chapter of Durham.
The parish historically included Aldby Park, Barnby, Buttercrambe, Claxton, Flaxton, Harton, Lobster House and Sand Hutton. A chapel of ease was created at Buttercrambe in the thirteenth century, although the present church of St John the Evangelist dates from the fifteenth. The parish also now includes a chapelry at Howsham.
In 1861 parts of the parish were separated to form the new parishes of Sand Hutton with Claxton and of Flaxton. Today the parish of Bossall with Buttercrambe and Howsham is one of eight parishes within the united benefice of Harton.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material