- 1775-2011 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.09 cubic metres
5 boxes and 2 rolls
Name of creator
The existence of a church at Brafferton was recorded in Domesday in the eleventh century. It was originally dedicated to St Augustine and its patronage was held by the de la River family until 1226 when it was given by them to Newburgh Priory. A vicarage was ordained there in 1311 and the church was appropriated to the Priory in 1316 and again in 1446.
At the Dissolution of the Monasteries, the patronage passed to the Crown and the rectory and advowson were subsequently granted to the Archbishop of York. In 1728 it was returned to the Crown in exchange for the vicarage of Bishopthorpe. The dedication of the church to St Peter dates from at least the 1760s.
The earliest parts of the present church building date to the fifteenth and sixteenth century. In 1831 the medieval nave was removed and rebuilt and the whole church was restored in 1886. The vicarage house was replaced in 1798 following a fire that destroyed existing church records.
The parish includes the townships of Helperby and Thornton Bridge. Between 1693 and the 1950s the manor of Brafferton, which included the village, was owned by the Christian Faith Society.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Uploaded finding aid
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Name access points
- Christian Faith Society (Subject)