- 1586-1995 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.17 cubic metres
11 boxes and 4 rolls
Name of creator
The existence of a church at Bramham, also known as Bramham cum Oglethorpe, was recorded in Domesday in the eleventh century, although the present All Saints parish church dates from c.1150. The church’s graveyard is believed to be of Saxon origin. Bramham was held by the Fossard family until c.1126-1129 when it were gifted by them to the Priory of Nostell and subsequently made a Prebend of York Minster. It was subject to the peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter of York until the nineteenth century.
Following the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the sixteenth century the patronage and impropriation of the church was granted by the Crown to the Deans and Canons of Christ Church, Oxford, who retained it until 1917. The college funded the repair and enlargement of the vicarage house in 1854. The living was augmented in 1770 and 1793 through Queen Anne’s Bounty, and again in 1814 by parliamentary grant. In 1917 the patronage passed to the Lane Fox family of Bramham Park.
The parish historically included the townships of Bramham, Boston Spa, Clifford and Oglethorpe. Chapels of ease were created at Boston Spa in 1814, dedicated to St Mary the Virgin, and at Clifford in 1842, dedicated to St Luke. In 1853 both chapelries separated from Bramham to form the new parishes of Boston Spa and of Clifford. All Saints Church underwent substantial restoration in the same year, and again in 1927.
Today Bramham forms part of the parish of Lower Wharfe, which also includes St Mary’s Church in Boston Spa and St Peter’s Church in Walton. The parish is notable as the location of the 1408 Battle of Bramham Moor.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material