- 1575-2014 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.11 cubic metres
6 boxes and 1 roll
Name of creator
The existence of a church at Brandsby was recorded in Domesday in the eleventh century. The patronage of the church descended with the lords of Brandsby manor. The de la River family held the manor and patronage from the twelfth century until 1581 when it passed by marriage to the Cholmeleys of Brandsby Hall, who retained it until the 1940s. In 1948 it was transferred to the Archbishop of York.
The medieval parish church of All Saints was demolished c.1767 and rebuilt on a new site in the English Renaissance style at the expense of Frances Cholmeley. The rebuilding took several years to complete and during the period 1767-1770 baptisms, marriages and burials were registered at nearby Dalby. The church was restored by Temple Moore in 1905. The old rectory house dates from 1565 and was remodelled in 1807.
The parish includes the village of Stearsby. In 1960 an alteration of the boundaries of Brandsby and Coxwold parishes took place. Consequently the chapelry of Yearsley also became part of Brandsby parish. The church at Yearsley was built in 1839 and is dedicated to the Holy Trinity.
Today Brandsby parish is part of the Seven Churches Group which includes the villages of Brandsby, Yearsley, Crayke, Carlton Husthwaite, Coxwold, Husthwaite and Wass.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material