- 1614-2002 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.3 cubic metres
17 boxes and 6 rolls
Name of creator
The existence of a church at Brayton was recorded in Domesday in the eleventh century, although the present church of St Wilfrid dates to the twelfth. The church was given to the Abbey of Selby and remained subject to the jurisdiction of the Peculiar Court of Selby until the nineteenth century. In 1293 the patronage was appropriated to the Archdeaconry of York. A vicarage was ordained there in 1348. Following the Dissolution of the Monasteries the patronage passed into secular hands.
St Wilfrid’s Church was extended in the fourteenth century. Between 1874 and 1883 the church was restored by architect John Loughborough Pearson, and in 1963-1964 repairs were carried out by architect Ronald Sims.
The parish included the townships of Brayton, Barlow, Burn, Gateforth, Hambleton, Lund and Thorpe Willoughby. Chapels of ease were created at Gatesforth in 1825 and at Hambleton in 1882. In 1914 both chapelries separated from Brayton to form the new parish of Hambleton with Gatesforth. A chapel of ease also existed at Barlow, sometimes known as ‘Barley’, from at least 1716, when it was recorded in a terrier for Brayton Church, but this closed in 2014.
Today Brayton parish still includes Brayton, Thorpe Willoughby, Barlow and Burn. A second church, dedicated to St Francis of Assisi, opened in the parish in the 1980s at Thorpe Willoughby. It is shared by the local Anglican and Methodist congregations.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material