- 1701-1999 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.1 cubic metres
5 boxes and 3 rolls
Name of creator
The existence of a church at Barton was recorded in Domesday in the eleventh century. It was given by Sir Ralph Pagnel, or Paynell, to Holy Trinity Priory, York, in the late eleventh century but by 1302 the patronage was held by the de Grey family who were then lords of the manor of Barton le Street.
The church building, dedicated to St Michael & All Angels, dates to the mid-twelfth century, and the earliest known rector was appointed in 1280. Although the church was completely rebuilt in 1871 by Perkin and Son, a number of its original features were incorporated into the new Norman style church. The organ case is by Temple Moore.
The parish historically included the villages of Coneysthorpe and Butterwick and mission chapels were erected to serve the local communities there in 1835 and 1858 respectively.
Today, Coneysthorpe, part of the Castle Howard estate, remains part of Barton le Street parish, whilst Butterwick has become part of the parish of Salton.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material