- 1623-2008 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.5 cubic metres
24 boxes, 1 oversize folder and 13 rolls
Name of creator
The earliest reference to a church at Bubwith was c.1138-1143 when a moiety of the church was given by Warin de Bubwith to the Dean and Chapter of York. The second moiety was given to William of Winchester, then rector of Bubwith and a canon of York, by Eustace Fitzjohn. The first moiety remained with the Dean and Chapter until the nineteenth century. The second descended with the de Vescy family (the first de Vescy being the son of Eustace Fitzjohn) until 1349 when it was given to Byland Abbey. Following the Dissolution of the Monasteries it passed to the Crown and in 1847 the two moieties were consolidated into one benefice.
The present parish church of All Saints dates to c.1170, and was extended in the thirteenth, fourteenth and fifteenth centuries. It was refurbished in 1792 and then restored again in the 1890s under the direction of architect Charles Hodgson Fowler. The churchyard was enlarged c.1897-1900. The present vicarage house was built in 1871.
The parish historically included the townships of Bubwith, Breighton, Foggathorpe, Gribthorpe, Gunby, Harlthorpe, Spaldington and Willitoft. At least three chapels of ease existed during the medieval period; at Foggathorpe, Spaldington, and Willotoft, although all three had disappeared by the end of the eighteenth century. Spaldington chapel was dedicated to St James.
Today the parish is known as Bubwith with Ellerton and Aughton. The two churches in the parish are All Saints, Bubwith, and All Saints, Aughton.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material