- 1662-1993 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.09 cubic metres
Name of creator
Although no church is recorded at Bugthorpe in Domesday, a church was appropriated to the Prebend of Bugthorpe, and a vicarage ordained there, at an early date. The parish was subject to the peculiar jurisdiction of Bugthorpe until 1836. In 1838 the church lands and manor of Bugthorpe were sold by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners to Sir Francis Lindley Wood of Garrowby.
The present parish church, dedicated to St Andrew, dates to the twelfth century, with alterations made in the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries. The vicarage was augmented by John Gysburgh, Prebendary of Bugthorpe, in 1481. It was further augmented in1760 and 1804 through Queen Anne’s Bounty. The church was restored c.1858 and the vicarage house was rebuilt in 1865.
Historically the parish included Stockton on the Forest and there was a chapel there from at least the thirteenth century. Stockton on the Forest separated from Bugthorpe in the nineteenth century and was declared an independent rectory in 1867.
In 1966 the benefice of Bugthorpe was amalgamated with that of Kirby Underdale. In 1980 the two parishes joined with the amalgamated benefice of Bishop Wilton and Full Sutton, and today these four parishes, together with Skirpenbeck, comprise the united benefice of Garrowby Hill.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material