- 1571-2003 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.11 cubic metres
Name of creator
The existence of a church at Bulmer was recorded in Domesday in the eleventh century, although the present church building, dedicated to St Martin, is believed to pre-date the Norman Conquest. The advowson of the church followed the descent of the manor of Bulmer, belonging first to the Bulmers of Wilton, and then to the Hassell and Laybourne families. In the eighteenth century it passed to the Wentworth family, headed by the Marquis of Rockingham, and in the nineteenth century to the Earls of Carlisle.
St Martin’s Church was re-dedicated in 1287 and expanded in the fifteenth and eighteenth centuries. The chancel and East and South walls were rebuilt in 1898. The church includes a window created by stained glass designer J. W. Knowles.
The parish historically included the townships of Bulmer, Henderskelfe and Welburn, as well as the Castle Howard estate. A ‘Chapel of Our Lady at Welburn’ was mentioned in the sixteenth century but appears to have fallen into disuse by the beginning of the seventeenth. A chapel of ease, dedicated to St John the Evangelist, was built at Welburn c.1859 by the 7th Earl of Carlisle. It was consecrated in 1865 and became independent of Bulmer in the 1980s. Castle Howard also has a private chapel which is part of Bulmer parish.
Since 1986 Bulmer parish has been part of the Howardian Group benefice together with the parishes of Dalby, Huttons Ambo, Terrington and Welburn.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material