- 1720-2012 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.10 cubic metres
Name of creator
The earliest reference to a church at Burythorpe was c.1180-1190 when the church and all rights of patronage were given by the Nobil family to the Priory of Kirkham. Following the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the sixteenth century the patronage passed to the Crown. The first rector was recorded in 1246.
Little is known of the original Norman parish church of All Saints. The building was demolished and a new church built in its place in 1857-1858 by architects J. B. and W. Atkinson of York, although the original baptismal font was retained.
The parish includes the hamlet of Thornthorpe. Today Burythorpe is part of the united parish of West Buckrose, which includes eight village churches.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material