- [15th century]-1992 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.06 cubic metres
3 boxes and 1 roll
Name of creator
Although no church was recorded at Burnby in Domesday, the present building, dedicated to St Giles, dates from at least the twelfth century. It was restored in 1583 and 1872.
The manor of Burnby belonged to the Archbishop of York from at least 1086 and from the thirteenth century both the manor and patronage of the church were held of the Archbishop by the Deyncourt family. The patronage passed to the Fulthorpes in the fourteenth century and subsequently to the Bromfletes, Lords Vescy, and then in the eighteenth century to the Dukes of Devonshire. By 1892 it was held by the Earl of Londesborough.
Historically, part of the township of Burnby lay in the adjoining parish of Hayton.
Today Burnby parish is part of Londesborough Wold benefice which is now part of the combined benefice of Pocklington Wold and Londesborough Wold within the Pocklington Group of Churches.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material