- 1635-1948 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.02 cubic metres
Name of creator
The church of St John the Evangelist, Buttercrambe, is a chapel to ease within the parish of Bossall. The church building dates to the thirteenth century and it has been associated with Bossall parish church since at least 1404. The church was partly rebuilt in the fifteenth century and then again in 1878-1881.
The parish and chapelry were granted by the Crown to the Dean and Chapter of Durham at the Dissolution of the Monasteries.
Today the parish of Bossall with Buttercrambe and Howsham is one of eight parishes within the united benefice of Harton.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material