- 1627-2007 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.18 cubic metres
Name of creator
Although ‘Fentun’ was included in Domesday in the eleventh century, the name ‘Kirk Fenton,’ signifying the establishment of a church at the site, was not recorded until 1338, along with the name of the first known vicar. The church was subject to the peculiar jurisdiction of the Prebend of Fenton from the thirteenth century, when Archbishop Walter de Grey created the parish from the old Prebend of Sherburn. Prior to this a church may have existed at Fenton as a chapel of ease to the mother church at Sherburn in Elmet.
The oldest parts of the parish church date to c.1230 and a vicarage was ordained there in 1240, the same year that the church tower was built. It was restored in 1844 and 1966. In 1929 new stained glass was added by C. E. Steel of Leeds.
Originally dedicated to St John the Baptist, the church is now dedicated to St Mary. A vicarage house stood in the village from at least 1663, and was replaced in 1870, although the ‘old’ vicarage still stands. The living was augmented in 1833 by Parliamentary grant.
The parish includes Church Fenton, Little Fenton, Biggin and Bracken Hill. Today the parish is part of the united benefice of Tadcaster.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Uploaded finding aid
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Place access points
Name access points
- Pace, George Gaze, 1915-1975, architect (Subject)