- 1750-1946 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.03 cubic metres
Name of creator
The existence of a church in the manor of Drax is recorded in Domesday in the eleventh century, although the present parish church dates to the early twelfth. The manor and church, together with Little Airmyn, Barlow, and Camblesforth, were held by Ralph de Pagnell. In c.1128 the church was granted to the newly founded Augustinian Priory at Long Drax by his son, William. It was appropriated to the Priory in 1315.
Following the Dissolution of the Monasteries the advowson of the church passed to the Crown and it was held as a curacy until 1778, when the first vicar was instituted. The benefice was augmented in 1775 and 1786 through Queen Anne’s Bounty, and again in 1810, 1813 and 1814 through Parliamentary grants.
The parish church was expanded in the fourteenth century and was later restored by Charles Hodgson Fowler in 1896. Some of the windows are believed to have been transferred to the church from Drax Priory.
The parish historically included Drax, Long Drax (also known as Langrick), Camblesforth, Little Airmyn and Newland. Today Drax is part of the parish and united benefice of Carlton and Drax which includes the church of St Mary at Carlton, a peculiar of the Prebendary of Snaith until the nineteenth century, as well as Long Drax, Newland and Camblesforth.
Drax parish is also notable as the location of Drax Charity School, now known as The Read School.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material