- 1497-1998 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.15 cubic metres
Name of creator
Carlton was a chapel of ease within the parish of Snaith, dedicated to St Mary. Built in 1379, it was a peculiar of Snaith Priory, itself a cell of Selby Abbey, until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the sixteenth century and thereafter remained subject to the jurisdiction of the Peculiar Court of Snaith until 1857.
In 1861 Carlton separated from Snaith to form a new parish and its wooden chapel was replaced with a new church, partly funded by Lady Isabella Anne Stapleton, the wife of the 8th Lord Beaumont of nearby Carlton Towers. The new church was designed by J. B. Atkinson of York.
Today Carlton by Snaith is part of the parish and united benefice of Carlton and Drax.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material