- 1592-1978 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.25 cubic metres
18 boxes and 1 roll
Name of creator
There has been a church at Catton from at least the twelfth century. In the thirteenth century the advowson was held by the Percy family, lords of the manor of Catton. It descended with the manor until the seventeenth century when it passed to the Duke of Somerset and then to the Earl of Egremont and finally to Lord Leconsfield, whose trustees held it in 1972.
The parish church of All Saints dates to the twelfth and thirteenth centuries; although it is possible it replaced a building of Saxon foundation. It was expanded in the fourteenth century and then restored in 1866 by George Edmund Street. In 2011 the roof and two stained glass windows were repaired and restored.
The parish historically included Low Catton (sometimes called Nether Catton), High Catton (sometimes called Upper Catton), Full Sutton, Kexby, Scoreby and Stamford Bridge. Chapels of ease existed at Full Sutton, Kexby and Stamford Bridge in the medieval period and a chapel, dedicated to St Leonard, was still in use in Stamford Bridge in the seventeenth and early eighteenth centuries. Full Sutton separated from Catton in the thirteenth century to form an independent parish. Kexby also became independent of Catton in 1853.
In 1868 a new chapel of ease, dedicated to St John the Baptist, was built at Stamford Bridge, and in 1957 it replaced All Saints as the principal church of the parish henceforth known as Stamford Bridge with Catton and Scoreby. Today the parish is part of the Stamford Bridge group of parishes, which also includes Scrayingham.
The parish is notable as the site of the 1066 Battle of Stamford Bridge.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material