- 1591-2004 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.12 cubic metres
Name of creator
The castle at Cawood was granted to the See of York by the Crown in the tenth century and was thereafter notable as one of the chief residences of the Archbishops of York. Although Cawood is not mentioned in Domesday, the earliest surviving part of the parish church of All Saints dates to c.1150 and may have been used as a chapel by the residents of the castle. The first written reference to All Saints Church was in 1294.
The parish was subject to the peculiar jurisdiction of the Prebendary of Wistow from an early date, but no vicarage was ordained there. The curacy was augmented in 1810, 1811 and 1812 by Parliamentary grant.
The parish church was enlarged between the thirteenth and sixteenth centuries. It was restored in 1887 by architect J. Oldrid Scott and the south porch was rebuilt in 1935.
A part of Ryther was added to the parish in 1963. Today, Cawood parish is part of the united benefice of Cawood with Ryther and Wistow.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material