- 1759-c 2007 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.16 cubic metres
Name of creator
Copmanthorpe was a chapel of ease within the parish of St Mary Bishophill Junior, York, and was thus subject to the peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter of York until 1836. The parish church, dedicated to St Giles, was built in 1180, and the chapel yard was used for burials from 1750 until the first half of the twentieth century.
In 1844 the two chapelries of Copmanthorpe and Upper Poppleton separated from St Mary Bishophill Junior. In 1866 Upper Poppleton was added to Nether Poppleton parish, whilst Copmanthorpe became fully independent.
In 1889 St Giles’ Church was restored and enlarged by architect Charles Hodgson Fowler. A new porch and vestry were added in 1977 and in 1992 the St Giles’ Centre was built as a parish hall and meeting space.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material