- 1558-1996 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.12 cubic metres
9 boxes and 2 rolls
Name of creator
The existence of a church at Crayke was recorded in the Domesday in the eleventh century. The advowson was held by the Bishop of Durham from an early date, and the parish was subject to the peculiar jurisdiction of the Liberty of the Bishop of Durham until 1837 when the advowson was transferred to the Bishop of Ripon. At this date Crayke became part of the Diocese of York. In 1860 the advowson passed to the Crown.
The present parish church, dedicated to St Cuthbert, dates to the fifteenth century, although it is believed to occupy the site of a much earlier Anglo Saxon foundation. It was restored and extended in 1862-1863 by E. G. Paley of Lancaster.
Today Crayke is part of the benefice of Crayke with Brandsby and Yearsley.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material