- 1711-1966 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.08 cubic metres
Name of creator
The existence of a church at Crambe was recorded in Domesday in the eleventh century. A moiety of this church is thought to have been held by the Count of Mortain and later given by Ralph Pagnell, or Paynel, to Holy Trinity Priory, York. In 1175 the Prior of Holy Trinity ceded it to Kirkham Priory and a vicarage was ordained some time before 1321 when the earliest known vicar is recorded.
Following the Dissolution of the Monasteries the advowson passed to the Crown and then to the See of York, who held it until 1868. The parish church of St Michael dates to the eleventh century but was rebuilt and expanded between the twelfth and fifteenth centuries.
The parish historically included Barton le Willows and Whitwell on the Hill. In 1860 a church, dedicated to St John the Evangelist, was erected at Whitwell on the Hill at the expense of Lady Lechmere
Today the parish of Crambe is one of eight parishes within the united benefice of Harton.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material