- 1656-2006 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.04 cubic metres
Name of creator
The church of St Peter at Dalby dates to the early twelfth century. The advowson of the church was held by St Mary’s Abbey, York, from this time until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the sixteenth century when it reverted to the Crown. Between the seventeenth and nineteenth century, patronage was exercised by the Lumley family.
The living was augmented in 1870 through Queen Anne's Bounty. The parish covered the hamlets of Dalby and Skewsby and the area was often known as Dalby cum Skewsby.
The church building, which appears to have been previously dedicated to St Mary, was expanded in the thirteenth and fifteenth, and was restored in 1886 by James Demaine and Walter Brierley of York.
The parish was united with that of Whenby in the early 1980s and today is known as Dalby with Whenby. It is one of six parishes within the Howardian Group benefice.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material