fonds PR/DR - Parish records of Drax

Identity area

Reference code



Parish records of Drax


  • 1534-2004 (Creation)

Level of description


Extent and medium

0.34 cubic metres

22 boxes, 1 roll and 2 oversize folders

Context area

Name of creator

(fl 1086-)

Administrative history

The existence of a church in the manor of Drax is recorded in Domesday in the eleventh century, although the present parish church dates to the early twelfth. The manor and church, together with Little Airmyn, Barlow, and Camblesforth, were held by Ralph de Pagnell. In c.1128 the church was granted to the newly founded Augustinian Priory at Long Drax by his son, William. It was appropriated to the Priory in 1315.

Following the Dissolution of the Monasteries the advowson of the church passed to the Crown and it was held as a curacy until 1778, when the first vicar was instituted. The benefice was augmented in 1775 and 1786 through Queen Anne’s Bounty, and again in 1810, 1813 and 1814 through Parliamentary grants.

The parish church was expanded in the fourteenth century and was later restored by Charles Hodgson Fowler in 1896. Some of the windows are believed to have been transferred to the church from Drax Priory.

The parish historically included Drax, Long Drax (also known as Langrick), Camblesforth, Little Airmyn and Newland. Today Drax is part of the parish and united benefice of Carlton and Drax which includes the church of St Mary at Carlton, a peculiar of the Prebendary of Snaith until the nineteenth century, as well as Long Drax, Newland and Camblesforth.

Drax parish is also notable as the location of Drax Charity School, now known as The Read School.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

The archive was deposited at the Borthwick Institute in 1977 by the incumbent. Further additions were made to the archive in 1978, 1984, 1990, 2005, 2008 and 2011.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Includes register of christenings, 1599-1947 (note this register uses the Dade registration scheme for the years 1777-1812); register of marriages, 1597-1977; register of burials, 1597-1678, 1681-1980 (note this register uses the Dade registration scheme for the years 1777-1812); register of banns, 1654-1659, 1813-1985; register of services, 1904-1925, 1928-1981; records concerning benefice income, including accounts, 1800, 1809, 1961-1962, tithe papers, 1888, 1911-1925, glebe papers, 1918-1919, 1927, map of fields, 19th century, correspondence and papers, 1862-1863, 1894, 1909, 1919, and deed, 1865; churchwardens’ records, including accounts, 1778-1931, restoration accounts, 1896-1936, restoration papers, 1929-1934, fabric papers, 1850, 1862, 1888, 1905-1965, and churchyard papers, 1857, 1861-1862, 1875-1876, 1958-1960; records of incumbents, including list of papists, 1767, weather notes, 1768-1769, Snaith ruridecanal chapter minutes of meetings, 1960-1964, dilapidations, 1876-1943, parsonage house papers including dilapidations papers, 1875-1876, 1907-1908, 1962-1987, benefice papers, 1975-1976, and correspondence regarding the appointment of new vicar, 1986; records concerning parish rooms and societies, including Temperance Society roll book, c.1883, church hall committee minutes of meetings, 1926-1931, church hall correspondence and papers, 1926, 1956, brass band minutes of meetings, 1927-1937, brass band accounts, 1929-1939, 1950-1951, social committee minutes of meetings, 1931-1936, Girls' Friendly Society minutes of meetings, 1938-1950, Men's Discussion Group minutes of meetings, 1951-1952, Coronation committee minutes of meetings, programme of events and photographs, 1952-1953, Youth Club minutes of meetings and papers, 1958-1960, correspondence concerning church hall site, 1951-1977, and Pathfinder group papers, 1972-1976; school records, including trustees' minutes of meetings, 1846-1882, accounts, 1755-1894, wages book, 1930-1935, applications for places, 1869-1870, list of leavers, 1861, 1868-1869, correspondence and papers, 1788-1805, 1854-1884, apprenticeship papers, 1734-1867, 1880, exam papers, 1870s, reports, 1870s, trust deeds, 1534-1916, estate surveys, 1808, 1850, 1882, estate correspondence and papers, 1813-1883, Sunday School registers, 1876-1896, and correspondence concerning Read School, 1960-1970; Vestry/Parochial Church Council records, including minutes of meetings, 1875-1935, 1927-1981, 1991-2004, accounts and financial papers, 1938-86, enclosure act and award, 1773, 1775, parish magazines, 1894-1901, 1909-1966, map of fields, 19th century, minute books, 1927-1984, agendas, 1978-1984, insurance papers, 1960-1965, electoral rolls, 1972-1984, and miscellaneous correspondence and papers, including photographs, 1950s-1987; Carlton and Drax Parochial Church Council minutes and accounts, including papers relating to the Elizabeth Fisher Charity, 1991-2004.


Further accruals are expected.

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Records are open to the public, subject to the overriding provisions of relevant legislation, including data protection laws. 24 hours' notice is required to access photographic material.

Conditions governing reproduction

A reprographics service is available to researchers subject to the access restrictions outlined above. Copying will not be undertaken if there is any risk of damage to the document. Copies are supplied in accordance with the Borthwick Institute for Archives' terms and conditions for the supply of copies, and under provisions of any relevant copyright legislation. Permission to reproduce images of documents in the custody of the Borthwick Institute must be sought.

Language of material

  • English
  • Latin

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

A typescript finding aid, to file level, is available for consultation in the searchroom of the Borthwick Institute. This includes all material received up to and including 2011.

Uploaded finding aid

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Registers of christenings, 1598-1947, marriages, 1597-1907, and burials, 1597-1900, are also available on microfilm at the Borthwick Institute (References: MF 674-675).

Related units of description

The parish records of Camblesforth and Carlton by Snaith are also deposited at the Borthwick Institute.

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

GB 193

Rules and/or conventions used

ISAD (G): General International Standard Archival Description, International Council on Archives (2nd edition, 2000); Rules for the construction of personal, place and corporate names, National Council on Archives (1997).

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Created by S. A. Shearn, 02.02.16.




Accession area