- 1599-1998 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.6 cubic metres
47 boxes and 8 rolls
Name of creator
The existence of a church at Easingwold was recorded in Domesday in the eleventh century, although the present parish church dates to the fourteenth and fifteenth. The advowson was held by the Crown, but had been given to the Archdeaconry of Richmond by the 1260s and a vicarage was ordained there c.1293. The Archdeaconry was annexed to the see of Chester following the Dissolution of the Monasteries, from which time the patronage of Easingwold passed to the Bishop of Chester, who held it until 1974 when it was transferred to the Archbishop of York.
The dedication of the parish church has been recorded at various times as either St John the Baptist or All Saints, until in 1988 the dedication was formally designated as St John the Baptist and All Saints. The church was extensively restored in 1858 and again between 1979 and 1991.
The parish includes the village of Raskelf, which contained a chapel of ease from at least the twelfth century, served by a curate provided by the vicar of Easingwold. The curacy became a vicarage in 1868 and the chapel is now the church of St Mary. It is notable for its wooden church tower, a rare survival which is thought to date to the fifteenth or sixteenth century.
Today the parish and benefice is known as Easingwold with Raskelf.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Uploaded finding aid
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Yorkshire Parish Register Society, 'The register of the parish church of All Saints, Easingwold, Co. York. 1599-1812.' Transcribed and edited by George Denison Lumb (Leeds, 1916).
Yorkshire Archaeological Society, 'The parish registers of Easingwold, Raskelf and Myton upon Swale, 1813-1837, with parish register transcripts for Raskelf, 1600-1746/7, and Myton upon Swale, 1598-1639/40.' Transcribed and edited by Norah K. M. Gurney (Leeds, 1983).
Subject access points
- Parish records
- Organisations » Associations » Women's associations
- Organisations » Associations » Youth organisations
- Organisations » Associations » Societies » Benevolent societies
- Historical events » Coronations (events) » Coronation of George VI (1937)
- Educational institutions » Schools » Church schools
- Parish records » Dade parish registers