- 1675-2004 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.14 cubic metres
7 boxes and 1 roll
Name of creator
William Fitz-Peter founded a Priory at Ellerton c.1221 for the Order of St Gilbert of Sempringham. Following the Dissolution of the Monasteries, the Priory, dedicated to the Virgin Mary and St Lawrence, was granted to Sir John Aske. The nave of the Priory church subsequently became the parish church of Ellerton.
The advowson of the church was augmented in 1732 and 1794 through Queen Anne's Bounty. By the 1840s the medieval church building had fallen into considerable disrepair and the architect John Loughborough Pearson was commissioned to design a new parish church, dedicated to St Mary, which was completed and consecrated in 1848. The medieval church was demolished.
The church was made redundant and appropriated for use as joiner's workshop on the 14th Nov 1979. In 1995 it was taken over by the newly formed Ellerton Church Preservation Trust and has since been restored.
Today Ellerton is part of the parish of Bubwith with Ellerton and Aughton.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material