- 1600-2010 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.16 cubic metres
9 boxes and 1 roll
Name of creator
The existence of a church at Elvington was recorded in Domesday in the eleventh century. The advowson of the church descended with the manor of Elvington until 1626 when it was retained by the Crown. In the nineteenth century it passed to the Clarke family.
Little is known of the medieval parish church of Holy Trinity. It was described as being in a state of disrepair in 1663 and 1744, and in 1803 it was entirely rebuilt, largely at the expense of the rector, Reverend A. Cheap. The new church was repaired in 1849 and 1868 and then rebuilt again on a new site in 1876-1877. In 1968 the churchyard was extended.
A rectory house existed from at least the 1530s. It had been rebuilt by 1809 and was sold in 1970, a new rectory house being erected nearby the following year.
Today Elvington parish is part of the united benefice of Derwent Ings, along with East Cottingwith, Sutton upon Derwent, Thorganby and Wheldrake.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material