- 1617-2001 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.2 cubic metres
14 boxes and 1 oversize folder
Name of creator
The earliest reference to a church at Escrick was in 1252. The advowson of the rectory there followed the descent of the manor of Escrick. In the thirteenth century it was held by the Lascelles family, before passing to the Knyvetts and the Thompsons. By the end of the nineteenth century it was held by the Lawley family of Wenlock, who had inherited the manor and rectory through marriage to Jane, heiress to Beilby Thompson.
Little is known of the medieval parish church of St Helen. In 1460 Guy Roucliff bequeathed money and lead for its tower and it was repaired in 1663, and again in 1759 when a new gallery was erected at the west end. In 1781 the site, which was situated to the west of Escrick Hall, was granted to Beilby Thompson on the condition that he built a new church elsewhere. A new parish church and churchyard were consecrated in 1783, but the church was replaced in 1857 by the present building, erected by the Lawley family. The church was damaged by fire in 1923 but was restored and reopened in 1925. A new rectory had also been built in 1763 and replaced in 1848 by a larger house on the same site.
The parish includes the township of Deighton. There is evidence of a chapel of ease there in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries. By 1914 there was a mission room at Deighton Grove, which remained in use until 1959.
Today Escrick parish is part of the united benefice of Escrick and Stillingfleet with Naburn.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material