- 1653-1992 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.06 cubic metres
Name of creator
Although no church is recorded at Everingham in Domesday, it has been suggested as the site of the eighth century convent of St Everilda of Wessex, from whom it supposedly derived its name. An alternate explanation for the name is that it derives from the Anglo-Saxon name ‘Eofer’, meaning ‘place of Eofer’s people.’
The present parish church dates to the thirteenth century and was originally dedicated to St Mary, but by the nineteenth century at least it was commonly known by St Emeldis or St Everilda. Today it is dedicated to St Everilda.
The nave and chancel of the medieval church were rebuilt in the late seventeenth century and the whole church was rebuilt in 1763 by the lord of the manor, William Haggerston-Constable, to a design by architect John Carr of York. In 1871 the roof was replaced.
Today Everingham is part of the Holme and Seaton Ross group of parishes.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material