- 1655-1991 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.13 cubic metres
Name of creator
The parish of Fangfoss shares much of its early history with that of Barmby Moor. In 1252 a vicarage was ordained jointly at Barmby and Fangfoss. The two still had separate ministers in the 1520s but from 1568 the vicarage of Barmby and the curacy of Fangfoss were always held by the same incumbent. Both were subject to the peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean of York until the nineteenth century. The curacy of Fangfoss was augmented in 1747, 1779, 1791, 1798 and 1819 through Queen Anne’s Bounty.
The parish church, which is dedicated to St Martin, dates to the twelfth century. It had fallen into disrepair by 1602 and underwent extensive repairs in the eighteenth century before being entirely rebuilt in 1848-1850 by architect R. Dennis Chantrell of Leeds. The new church was known as St Mary’s and later St John’s, before returning to its original dedication of St Martin. A vicarage house was also recorded at Fangfoss in the seventeenth century. The parish includes the hamlet of Spittle.
Today Fangfoss is part of the Barmby Moor group of benefices which also includes Barmby Moor, Thornton and Yapham cum Meltonby.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material