- 1713-1983 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.12 cubic metres
Name of creator
The parish of Flaxton, sometimes known as Flaxton-on-the-Moor, was created in 1861 from parts of the parishes of Bossall and Foston. The living was declared a rectory in 1867 and was in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Durham, who also held Bossall.
The parish church is dedicated to St Lawrence and was built on the site of a medieval chapel of ease to Bossall. The interior of the church was renovated by George Pace in the 1940s, with additional work by Robert 'Mouseman' Thompson of Kilburn.
Today Flaxton is one of eight parishes within the united benefice of Harton.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material