- 1588-2004 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.12 cubic metres
7 boxes and 1 oversized folder
Name of creator
The existence of a church at Foston was recorded in Domesday in the eleventh century. The advowson was granted to St Mary’s Abbey, York, at an early date, and they retained it until the Dissolution of the Monasteries when it passed to the Crown. In 1898 the advowson was transferred to the see of York.
The parish church is dedicated to All Saints and dates from the first half of the twelfth century, with further additions made in the thirteenth. It was restored and expanded in 1911.
The parish historically included Flaxton and Thornton le Clay. A chapel of ease existed at Thornton in the sixteenth and seventeenth century, dedicated to St Mary, but has since been lost. In 1861 Flaxton separated from Foston to form a new parish, which included parts of neighbouring Bossall.
Today Foston, which still includes Thornton le Clay, is one of eight parishes within the united benefice of Harton.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material