- 1607-2008 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.47 cubic metres
30 boxes and 2 rolls
Name of creator
The earliest mention of a chapel at Fulford was in 1349, although the original church building was built c.1150. It was acquired by St Mary’s Abbey, York, at an early date, along with the chapelry of York, St Olave. The chapel yard at Fulford was briefly licensed for burials during the plague in 1349 but Fulford burials otherwise took place at St Olave’s in this period.
Following the Dissolution of the Monasteries Fulford became a chapelry of York, St Olave, and the churchyard was brought back into use for burials. By the mid-seventeenth century the church was also used for baptisms and marriages. The benefice was augmented in 1746, 1767, 1778 and 1808 through Queen Anne’s Bounty, and in 1813 via a parliamentary grant. At some point, most likely between 1764 when it was still described as a chapelry, and 1825 when it was omitted from the terrier of York, St Olave for the first time, Fulford became a parish in its own right. The advowson, which passed into lay hands at the Dissolution, was transferred to the Archbishop of York in 1892.
A new parish church, dedicated to St Oswald, was built in 1866 to replace the medieval structure. It was restored following a fire in 1878 and the belfry stage of the tower was rebuilt in 1924, and a church hall added in 1960. The old churchyard was closed in 1902 and subsequent burials took place at Fulford Cemetery. A parsonage house was built in 1875 and replaced in 1960.
The parish originally consisted of two villages; Gate Fulford, where St Oswald’s Church is situated, and Water Fulford; the latter area being, at various times, divided between Fulford Chapelry and the parishes of St Paul’s in Heslington and St Martin’s in York. In 1828 the two villages were given the name Fulford Ambo, meaning ‘both Fulfords,’ and in 1935 this became simply Fulford. In 1871 a suburban part of the parish, known as ‘New Fulford’, was transferred to the parish of York, St Lawrence.
Today both the parish and benefice are known as Fulford.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material