- 1689-1993 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.04 cubic metres
Name of creator
The present church of St Mary at Gate Helmsley dates to the thirteenth century, although the earliest known vicar was instituted in 1351. It was however still described as a perpetual curacy in 1840.
The parish was part of the Prebendary of Osbaldwick and was subject to its peculiar jurisdiction until the nineteenth century.
The church was renovated and enlarged in 1885-1886, with stained glass added by Ward and Hughes of London. A new organ was installed in 1913, built by Leeds firm Abbott and Smith. It retains parts of the earlier building however in west half of the nave and the font, which date to the thirteenth century, and the church tower, which was added in the fifteenth.
The parish historically included the village of Stamford Bridge. In 1868 part of the village separated from Gate Helmsley parish to form a chapelry within the parish of Catton. In 1899 Gate Helmsley parish was united with that of Upper Helmsley
Today St Mary’s is one of ten churches within the united Benefice of Harton, together with Bossall, Buttercrambe, Crambe, Flaxton, Foston, Howsham, Sand Hutton, Upper Helmsley and Whitwell on the Hill.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material