- 1657-2008 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.05 cubic metres
3 boxes and 2 rolls
Name of creator
A chapel existed at Great Givendale in the twelfth century, subordinate to the mother church of Pocklington. In 1252 a vicarage was ordained jointly in the chapels of Givendale and Millington, and the united benefice remained subject to the peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean of York as Prebend of Givendale until the nineteenth century. During the second half of the twentieth century the vicar of Pocklington was also vicar of the parishes of Great Givendale and Millington.
The parish church is dedicated to St Ethelburga. Although parts of it date to the twelfth century, it was largely rebuilt in 1849 and a new vestry added in 1886.
The parish includes Great Givendale and the hamlet of Grimthorpe. Today it is part of the united benefice of Pocklington Wold, which also includes Huggate, Kilnwick Percy, Millington, Nunburnholme and Pocklington.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material