fonds PR/GOOD - Parish records of Goodmanham

Identity area

Reference code



Parish records of Goodmanham


  • 1637-1991 (Creation)

Level of description


Extent and medium

0.14 cubic metres

9 boxes

Context area

Name of creator

(c 1130-)

Administrative history

The present parish church of All Saints, Goodmanham was built c.1130. The north aisle was added c 1190 and the church was enlarged in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries. It is said to stand on or near to the site of a demolished Temple of Woden where the high priest of King Edwin of Northumbria renounced the Pagan religion for Christianity. Fragments of an earlier Saxon building have been found nearby and may indicate the existence of a pre-Conquest Christian church.

The advowson of the church was originally divided into three parts, with two thirds of the advowson belonging to the Percy family and the remaining third to the Fossards. They were consolidated into one rectory from 1399 and the patronage was held by the Grimston family until the late seventeenth century. In 1927 the advowson was transferred to the Archbishop of York.

A rectory house was built in 1823-1824. The church was restored by the architect Temple Moore between 1894 and 1900.

The church remains in use.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

The archive was deposited at the Borthwick Institute in 1969. Further additions were made to the archive in 1983, 1989, 1991, 1993 and 2010.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Includes register of christenings, 1696-1923; register of marriages, 1696-1959; register of burials, 1678-1991; register of banns, 1824-1903; register of services, 1898-1917, 1927, 1938-1976; records concerning benefice income, including accounts, 1924-1928, tithe case opinion, with map, 1818, tithe correspondence, 1903-1909, 1917-1920, glebe deeds, 1752-1801, 1917, glebe farm valuation, 1887, glebe farm plans, 1908, sequestration notices, 1938, 1944, correspondence and papers, 1887-1940, 1942, and glebe papers, 1821; charity accounts, 1944-1949; churchwardens’ records, including accounts, 1817-1940, restoration accounts, 1895, fabric papers, 1894-1952, church engravings and photos, n.d, 1870, and visitors' books, 1939-1980; records of incumbents, including presentation address to incumbent, 1836, dilapidations papers, 1930, 1938-1940, correspondence and papers, 1949-1959, and statistical returns, 1893; overseers’ records, including accounts, rates and lists of poor, 1721-1837; records concerning parish rooms and societies, including parish hall plans and correspondence, 1948-1950, Temperance Society register, 1896, voluntary hospitals committee minutes of meetings, 1927-1932, and subscriptions, 1928-1933; school records, including managers' minutes of meetings, 1903-1932, 1938-1966, accounts, 1933, 1938-1952, correspondence and papers, 1873, 1908-1952, and building accounts, 1873-1874; surveyors’ receipt, 1855; Vestry/Parochial Church Council records, including minutes of meetings, 1887-1895, accounts, 1906-1938, 1941-1944, enclosure award and map, 1777, and map of village with householders' names, early 20th century; ‘Goodmanham Church and Village’ by J. S. Purvis, 1938.


Further accruals are expected.

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Records are open to the public, subject to the overriding provisions of relevant legislation, including data protection laws. 24 hours' notice is required to access photographic material.

Conditions governing reproduction

A reprographics service is available to researchers subject to the access restrictions outlined above. Copying will not be undertaken if there is any risk of damage to the document. Copies are supplied in accordance with the Borthwick Institute for Archives' terms and conditions for the supply of copies, and under provisions of any relevant copyright legislation. Permission to reproduce images of documents in the custody of the Borthwick Institute must be sought.

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

A typescript finding aid, to file level, is available for consultation in the searchroom of the Borthwick Institute. This includes all material received up to and including 2010.

Uploaded finding aid

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Registers of baptisms, 1696-1885, marriages, 1696-1885, burials, 1678-1991, and banns, 1824-1900, are also available on microfilm at the Borthwick Institute (References: MF 690, 882, 1761).

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

GB 193

Rules and/or conventions used

ISAD (G): General International Standard Archival Description, International Council on Archives (2nd edition, 2000); Rules for the construction of personal, place and corporate names, National Council on Archives (1997).

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Created by S. A. Shearn, 12.02.16.




Accession area