- 1714-2005 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.1 cubic metres
6 boxes and 1 roll
Name of creator
Huttons Ambo consists of the two villages of High Hutton (Hutton Bardolf) and Low Hutton (Hutton Colswayn). There was a church at High Hutton from at least 1202, when it was granted to Kirkham Priory by Ralph Bardolf. No vicarage was ordained therein but this became the parish church. It was dedicated to St Margaret of Scotland.
There was also a chapel in Low Hutton from at least the thirteenth century, although this was taken down in 1800 and the materials used to repair the roof of St Margaret’s.
Kirkham Priory held the church and chapel until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the sixteenth century, at which time it passed to the Crown who granted it to the See of York. The Archbishop of York held the advowson and the rectory from that time.
The living was augmented through Queen Anne’s Bounty in 1723 and 1810, and through Parliamentary Grant in 1811.
In 1856 the original church was demolished and replaced by the present building, which was erected on a new site to a design by Mr Rawlins Gould. A vicarage house was built in 1868 and the new church was restored in 1956 by Sir Albert Richardson.
Today St Margaret’s is part of the united benefice of the Howardian Group, which also includes Bulmer, Dalby near Skewsby and Terrington, Terrington and Welburn.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material