- 1881-1999 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.07 cubic metres
Name of creator
Hambleton was a chapel of ease and Gateforth a perpetual curacy within the parish of Brayton, both subject to the peculiar jurisdiction of Selby until the nineteenth century. A church, dedicated to St Mary, was built at Gateforth in 1825, at the expense of Humphrey Osbaldeston. A church was also built at Hambleton, also dedicated to St Mary, in 1881 and consecrated the following year.
Hambleton and Gateforth remained part of the parish of Brayton until 1914 when the district chapelry of Gateforth cum Hambleton was created. In 1915 St Mary’s Church, Hambleton, was substituted as parish church in place of St Mary’s, Gateforth. The church at Gateforth was demolished in 1948.
In 1960 the parish of Hambleton with Gateforth became part of the benefice of Monk Fryston and Hambleton and in 1984 it joined the new benefice of Haddlesey, Hambleton and Birkin.