- 1653-1993 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.04 cubic metres
2 boxes and 1 roll
Name of creator
There was a church at Harswell from at least the late twelfth century when William Salvin held the estate and a church there. At some point the advowson passed to the Gascoigne family. It was in the hands of the Slingsbys of Scriven Park by the seventeenth century.
The church, which is dedicated to St Peter, was rebuilt in 1870-1871 by James Fowler of Louth, at the expense of Sir Thomas Slingsby and his wife Emma. The rectory house was rebuilt in 1856.
In the ninteenth century the rector of Harswell was also curate-in-charge of nearby Seaton Ross.
Today the parish of Harswell is part of the united benefice of the Holme and Seaton Ross Group, together with Bielby, Everingham, Holme on Spalding Moor and Seaton Ross.