- 1656-1996 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.3 cubic metres
20 boxes and 2 rolls
Name of creator
Haxby was originally a chapelry in the parish of Strensall and was subject to the peculiar jurisdiction of the Prebend of Strensall until the nineteenth century. A burial ground was dedicated at Haxby in 1328, allowing parishioners to avoid the long and often difficult journey to St Mary’s Church, Strensall, but it was not until 1472 that residents petitioned successfully to have their own priest to celebrate at their own Chapel.
A church was built at Haxby in the sixteenth century, dedicated to St Mary. The living was constituted a separate vicarage in 1862 and the parish of Haxby was formed the following year. The vicarage house was built in 1864. St Mary’s Church was destroyed by fire in 1876 and rebuilt in 1878 by subscription. It was extended and rededicated in 1911 and a choir vestry was added in 1921. The church hall was built in 1851 and was used as a village school until 1876. It was later used as a social hall and a base for the parish Sunday School. The hall was extended in 1908 and refurbished in 2003.
Today the parish of St Mary, Haxby, forms part of the united benefice of Haxby and Wigginton.