- 1610-1992 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.13 cubic metres
Name of creator
Hayton was a chapelry of Pocklington until 1252 when a vicarage was ordained in the chapels of Hayton and Bielby and the living was appropriated to the Deanery of York. Hayton thereafter became the parish church and Bielby a chapel of ease, both subject to the peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean of York until the nineteenth century. The living was augmented in 1737.
The parish church, which is dedicated to St Martin, dates to the twelfth century. It was restored in 1860. The rectory dates to the late eighteenth century and was rebuilt in 1858 by Thomas Grant of Pocklington.
In 1959 Bielby chapelry separated from Hayton to become part of the benefice of Seaton Ross with Everingham and Harswell. Today Hayton parish is part of the benefice of Londesborough Wold, which also includes Burnby, Londesborough and Shiptonthorpe.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Includes register of christenings, 1610-1899 (note this register uses the Dade registration scheme for the years 1789-1802); register of marriages, 1610-1976; register of burials, 1610-1951 (note this register uses the Dade registration scheme for the years 1789-1810, ages only from 1802); register of banns, 1823-1895; register of services, 1917-1992; communicants' roll, 1931-1947; records concerning benefice income, including tithe account, 1747, correspondence and papers, 1906, 1920-1934, and glebe sale correspondence, 1917-1925; charity records, including description of poor's land, 1809; churchwardens’ records, including briefs, 1684-c.1690, 1712-1739, and fabric papers, 1763, 1792, 1904, 1930-1959, 1968, 1973-1974; records of incumbents, including parsonage house papers, 1927-1966; overseers’ accounts, 1778-1810; records concerning parish rooms and societies, including parish hall accounts, 1947-1951, and correspondence, 1974; school records, including correspondence, 1927; Vestry/Parochial Church Council records, including minutes of meetings, 1910-1921, 1932-1953, and accounts, 1909-1939, 1947-1948; records of Bielby Church of England School, including managers’ minute book, 1903-1950, conveyance, 1914, and correspondence, papers and reports, 1903-1950; report on the church by architect Temple Moore, c.1878.
Records of parish of Hayton-cum-Bielby, including terriers, 1809-1849, Bielby charity statements of accounts, 1923-1965, and map of the civil parish of Bielby, 1959.