- 1698-2006 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.11 cubic metres
Name of creator
The lands of Healaugh parish, near Tadcaster, belonged to the Augustinian Priory of Healaugh Park from an early date. The church of St John the Baptist, which was originally dedicated to St Helen, dates from the twelfth century and was appropriated to the Priory in 1398. A vicarage was ordained there the same year and augmented in 1425.
At the Dissolution of the Monasteries the priory passed into private hands, eventually becoming the residence of the Marquis of Wharton. The benefice was augmented in 1715, 1761 and 1763. The church was restored in 1860. In 1871 the incumbent, Charles Voysey, was deprived of the living for his heterodox views and went on to found the Theistic Church in London.
In 1927 the benefice was united with that of Wighill. Today the parish is part of the united benefice of Rural Ainsty.