- 1733-2002 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.2 cubic metres
Name of creator
Helperthorpe was originally a chapelry annexed to the nearby parish of Weaverthorpe but was later appropriated to the Dean and Chapter of York and a vicarage ordained therein in 1282. The parish remained subject to the peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter of York until the nineteenth century. Burials continued to take place at Weaverthorpe.
In 1856 Luttons Ambo was transferred from Weaverthorpe parish to Helperthorpe, and in 1873 the larger parish of Helperthorpe cum Luttons Ambo was granted to Sir Tatton Sykes, 5th Baronet, by the Dean and Chapter of York in exchange for Bishop Wilton.
Sykes funded the building of the new parish church of St Peter in 1875, replacing a sixteenth century structure. The new church was designed by architect George Edmund Street, with additions by Temple Moore. It was restored in 1998. The vicarage house was built in 1876.
In 1924 the benefices of Helperthorpe and Weaverthorpe were united. Today the parish of Helperthorpe forms part of the united benefice of Weaverthorpe with Helperthorpe, Luttons Ambo, Kirby Grindalythe and Wharram le Street