- 1605-2014 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.32 cubic metres
23 boxes and 8 rolls
Name of creator
The existence of a church at Hemingbrough was recorded in Domesday in the eleventh century. It was given to the Bishop of Durham by William the Conqueror and subsequently assigned to the Prior and Convent of Durham, remaining subject to the Priory’s peculiar jurisdiction until the sixteenth century.
The parish church was appropriated to the Prior and Convent in 1356 and a perpetual vicarage ordained there the same year. From 1426 until the Dissolution of the Monasteries, the parochial church was made a collegiate church under the care of a provost, three prebendaries, six vicars choral and six clerks. At the Dissolution the Priory was suppressed and the advowson of the church passed to the Crown and in 1898 to the Archbishop of York. As part of the Peculiar Court of Howden and Howdenshire, the parish was subject to the jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter of Durham until the nineteenth century. The benefice was augmented in 1810 and 1814 by parliamentary grant.
The present parish church is dedicated to St Mary and dates to the twelfth century. It was extended in the thirteenth century and underwent further improvement in the fifteenth to fit its new collegiate status. The church underwent several periods of restoration between 1851 and 1884. A vicarage house may have existed from as early as 1324. By the fifteenth century incumbents were using a house known as The Stackgarth and this was still in use as late as 1826. It was replaced in 1826 and again in 1973.
The parish historically included Babthorpe, Barlby, Bowthorpe, Brackenholme, Cliffe, Hagthorpe, Lund, Menthorpe, Osgodby, South Duffield and Woodhall. Barlby was a chapelry of Hemingbrough from the fifteenth century until 1895 when it became a parish in its own right. A mission room, dedicated to St Andrew, was erected at Cliffe in 1908 and rebuilt in 1985.
Today the parish, which includes St Andrew’s Mission Room at Cliffe, is part of the united benefice of Riccall, Barlby and Hemingbrough.