- 1653-2016 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.3 cubic metres
21 boxes and 1 small folder
Name of creator
The parish of Heslington was subject to the peculiar jurisdiction of the Prebend of Ampleforth from an early date until 1842 when the advowson passed to the Archbishop of York. Though technically a chapel, the church of St Paul was described as fully parochial in the medieval period and was mentioned as early as 1299, together with its burial ground.
The living was augmented through Queen Anne’s Bounty in 1740, 1772, 1787 and 1795. In 1857-1858 a new church was built on the site of the original medieval structure, designed by J. B. and W. Atkinson of York, although the new church retained its two fourteenth century bells. The church was renovated and enlarged in 1973 by architect Ronald Sims. The churchyard was also enlarged in 1862 and 1921.
Historically, part of Heslington belonged to the parish of York, St Lawrence. In 1869 this portion was transferred to Heslington parish, which was henceforward described as a vicarage. The Yarburgh family of Heslington Hall provided a parsonage house in the village in 1871 and this was replaced by a new house in 1965. In 1971 the township of Langwith was transferred from Wheldrake parish to Heslington.
In 1971 a local ecumenical partnership was formed between St Paul’s Church and Heslington Methodist Chapel to combine their place and form of worship. St Paul’s Church was renamed ‘Heslington Church’ and is now one of only a few joint Anglican/Methodist churches. The partnership also includes the Roman Catholic Chaplaincy at the University of York.