- 1561-2007 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.08 cubic metres
Name of creator
There was a church at West Heslerton from at least the twelfth century. It was granted by Walter de Ingram (or Ingelram) to the Priory of Guiborough c.1150-1172, together with its chapel at East Heslerton. Although a royal license was granted to appropriate the church to the Priory in 1359, it was never implemented and the church remained a rectory. Following the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the sixteenth century, the advowson passed to the Crown.
The present parish church, which is dedicated to All Saints, dates to the thirteenth century. It was largely rebuilt in 1859, although the original chancel survives, and then restored in 1886-1888 by architect Charles Hodgson Fowler.
In 1879 the chapelry of East Heslerton separated to form an independent parish. St Andrew’s Church, East Heslerton, was declared redundant in 2002 and today West and East Heslerton form a combined parish with Yedingham, within the benefice of Buckrose Carrs.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Uploaded finding aid
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
Revised by S. Kent, September 2016.