- 1679-2000 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.04 cubic metres
Name of creator
The earliest reference to a church at Holtby was in a twelfth century charter of Henry II. At this time it belonged to Durham Priory and the advowson descended with the Priory manor until 1600 when it was granted to William Tancred of Great Langton and thereafter passed into private hands. In 1880 the then patron the Earl of Feversham transferred the patronage to the Crown in exchange for the advowson of Kirby Moorside.
The parish was subject to the peculiar jurisdiction of the Priory until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the sixteenth century, and was afterwards part of the Howdenshire peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of Durham.
The present parish church of Holy Trinity dates to 1792, although it was restored in 1841 and then largely rebuilt in 1881. In 1939 the benefice of Holtby and Warthill was united with that of Stockton on the Forest.
Today the parish forms part of the united benefice of Rural East York, which also includes Warthill, Stockton on the Forest and Dunnington.