fonds PR/HOV - Parish records of Hovingham

Identity area

Reference code



Parish records of Hovingham


  • 1642-1997 (Creation)

Level of description


Extent and medium

0.2 cubic metres

16 boxes

Context area

Name of creator

(fl 1086-)

Administrative history

The existence of a church at Hovingham was recorded in Domesday in the eleventh century. It was granted to Newburgh Priory by Roger de Mowbray and the grant was confirmed by the Pope in 1199 and by the Dean and Chapter of York between 1204 and 1210.

At the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the sixteenth century the church passed to the Crown and was subsequently granted by James I to Henry Butler and Henry Ogle and their heirs. The advowson and tithes descended with the manor of Slingsby until 1860, when it was purchased from the Earl of Carlisle by Sir W. C. Worsley. The living was augmented in 1770, 1792, 1811 and 1814.

The parish church of All Saints dates to the eleventh century but was largely rebuilt in 1860 at the expense of the Worsley family. The church’s stained glass ranges in date from the 1860 rebuilding to more recent works by stained glass artist Harry Stammers in 1950 and 1962.

The parish historically included Airyholme, Baxtonhowe, Coulton, Fryton, Howthorpe, Scackleton, South Holme, Standmire and Wath. A chapel existed at Fryton from an early date and was mentioned in 1284-5, but it had fallen into ruin by the 1570s. In the early twentieth century a daughter church, dedicated to St George the Martyr, was built at Scackleton.

Today the parish, which includes All Saints Church, Hovingham, and St George the Martyr, Scackleton, is part of the united benefice of Street Parishes.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

The archive was deposited at the Borthwick Institute in 1978 by the incumbent. Further additions were made to the archive in 1979, 1988, 1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 2002 and 2012.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Includes register of christenings, 1642-1889; register of marriages, 1642-1989; register of burials, 1642-1903 (note this register uses the Dade registration scheme for the years 1800-1812, causes infrequent); register of banns, 1842-1984; register of services, 1876-1902, 1922-1929, 1935-1937, 1956-1994; records concerning benefice income, including glebe lease, 1921, and correspondence, 1877; charity papers, 1886; churchwardens’ records, including accounts, 1721-1771, 1930-1933, fabric papers, 1821, 1909 (clock), 1912, 1950, church visitors' books, 1961-1963, 1974-1977, papers, 1825-1860, churchyard papers, 1912, and National Association of Decorative and Fine Arts Societies record of church furnishings, 1989-1992; constables' accounts, 1703-1770; records of incumbents, including parsonage house deed, 1934, prayer lists of those killed, wounded and serving in the First World War, n.d; overseers' accounts and Poor Law papers, 1721-1771; records concerning parish rooms and societies, including Mothers' Union minutes of meetings, 1958-1973, and society accounts, 20th century; school records, including accounts, 1903-51, and return under 1902 Education Act, 1903; Vestry/Parochial Church Council records, including minutes of meetings, 1945-1993, accounts, 1915-1968, correspondence and papers, 1940, 1962, 1967-1973, minute book with accounts, 1903-1961, parish account book, 1701-1791, register parochial electors, 1933-1963, and parish magazine, 1908.


Further accruals are expected.

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Records are open to the public, subject to the overriding provisions of relevant legislation, including data protection laws. 24 hours' notice is required to access photographic material.

Conditions governing reproduction

A reprographics service is available to researchers subject to the access restrictions outlined above. Copying will not be undertaken if there is any risk of damage to the document. Copies are supplied in accordance with the Borthwick Institute for Archives' terms and conditions for the supply of copies, and under provisions of any relevant copyright legislation. Permission to reproduce images of documents in the custody of the Borthwick Institute must be sought.

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

A typescript finding aid, to file level, is available for consultation in the searchroom of the Borthwick Institute. This includes all material received up to and including 2002.

Uploaded finding aid

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Registers of christenings, marriages, and burials, 1642-1885, and banns, 1842-1900, are also available on microfilm at the Borthwick Institute (References: MF 708, 1762).

Related units of description

The parish records of Slingsby are also deposited at the Borthwick Institute.

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

GB 193

Rules and/or conventions used

ISAD (G): General International Standard Archival Description, International Council on Archives (2nd edition, 2000); Rules for the construction of personal, place and corporate names, National Council on Archives (1997).

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Created by S. A. Shearn, 23.02.16.




Accession area