- 1657-1954 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.05 cubic metres
Name of creator
The church of St John the Evangelist, Howsham, was a chapel of ease within the parish of Scrayingham until 1977 when it was transferred to the parish of Bossall with Buttercrambe.
The church was built in 1859-1860 to a design by architect George Edmund Street, and at the expense of Mrs Chomley of Howsham Hall, whose husband funded the rebuilding of Scrayingham church in 1853.
Today St John’s is one of three churches within the parish of Bossall with Buttercrambe and Howsham, which is in turn part of the combined benefice of Harton.